Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tales of a dead Facebook friend......

 So I was looking on my Facebook page this morning and saw a name pop up in that column on the left that shows some of your Facebook friends.  This name was unique. Why?

 Said Facebook friend is deader than dead. In fact, this person has been dead over a year.

 This made me realize something. Well, a couple of things........

 First of all, why didn't I delete said dead Facebook friend much sooner? That goes also for the over 90 Facebook friends that he still has! Isn't it nice to know he still has Facebook friends while in the great beyond?

 Second, dear Lord, I am a Facebook friend collector! Am I really one of those people who friend's a zillion folks on Facebook just to be a profile voyeur? Slightly. I do have over 200 of them, after all.....

 Facebook has become wildly popular, in my opinion, because people want to be close to each other. To their hairdresser. To their baby mama's sister-in-law's friend. To that kid in the first grade whom you were friends with. (Real friends, that is.)

 And when they die while on Facebook? Oh good grief. Expect a whole page of comments. They will profess their undying love to you. Family members will be in denial. They will tell you that they should have listened longer when you couldn't shut your mouth while you were alive. They will even post something on the first anniversary of your death.

 Even though you can't read it. Or can you? (One of the great questions of life, I guess.)

 And so, I thought about the ironies of life as I deleted said dead Facebook friend just now. Of course, in many ways, life is one big irony.

 Big ironies. Little ironies. Dead ironies....

 Rest in peace said dead Facebook friend.........

No comments:

Post a Comment