Friday, August 10, 2012

The courage to say no...

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." 

 Winston Churchill

 I've been thinking about this blog post for a few days, ever since the city council this past week in my city. There was an agenda item to get an RFP from the county sheriff's for police services. The police union fought this and many in town came out to speak against it. From what I heard, it was expected to pass since there was a newly elected council. It didn't though because one person chose to listen and say no.

 There has been a ton of turmoil in my city this past year. Local bloggers brought out the death of a homeless, mentally ill man, which led to a recall of 3 city council members. I applaud the work the bloggers did that inadvertently brought awareness to mental illness, however.....

 I'm not thrilled to get rid of my local police department, and it seems many others in my city feel the same way. I frankly don't believe, as it has been alleged, that the whole department is corrupt just because this man died. I also don't believe the county sheriff's can offer better service. In fact, I hear it's worse! I'm glad that the one recall candidate who I actually was happy to vote for chose to step up and say no.

 Frankly, I'm sick of how this blog has ridden the coat tails of this death that caused the perfect storm. I'm also sick of how the major contributor to this recall seems to be trying to influence government-including seemingly wanting a new police force. As a friend of mine was saying to me today, "I'm frankly sick of hearing about this death. It's over. It's going through the justice system. Move on."

 So, I thank that council member for saying no. I hope it doesn't negatively impact him politically for doing the right thing. Whatever happens though, he can rest assured that he helped move his city along to normalcy again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment