Monday, September 10, 2012

Health issues that could be coming up....

 Before I get too depressing, I want to congratulate my friend Robyn and her hubby TJ who closed escrow on their house this past Friday! While I'm envious at how dirt cheap they got it for, I'm also happy for this new stage in their lives. Your house is really nice!

 So anyway, let me say that some health issues may be headed my way shortly. At the endocrinologist's appointment this past Friday, I learned I'm "insulin resistant," which in laymen's terms means Type 2 Diabetes. I did my "fun" urine donation today to check for Cushing's Disease because diabetes always goes along with it, as it does with PCOS, which they're also checking with me. Honestly though, even though he has a good reputation for diagnosing illnesses that many doctors miss, his personality leaves much to be desired. He doesn't talk to you during your time with him but instead speaks into a recorder. He told the recorder that I needed a thyroid biopsy and then looked over at me as if to say, "That okay with you?" It was really weird! He said that losing weight will solve the diabetes issue. Okay, fair enough. What do I need to do though while losing weight? I'm sure that was also one of the reasons why he put me on Bromocriptine, but I'd like to hear that from him. Google has shown me that it's also used to level out blood sugar in diabetics. I've noticed over the few short days I've been on it that a disgusting problem I've been having has become less frequent and I'm also less tired. And I'm not as moody. Woohoo!

 So, this one I'm taking seriously. Diabetes is a serious problem on both sides of my family. My paternal grandfather died at age 61 from it. My maternal grandfather also died from it, but at age 84. The poor man underwent dialysis for a few years prior to his death. Yes, he lived a long life, but I remember how sad it was to see his body wither away those few years before his death.

 I'd appreciate the prayers if you're so inclined to pray for perseverance for me to get this weight off. I don't want to have to deal with such a debilitating disease as this, so if losing weight can take care of the problem, so be it. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kim :)
    Diabetes runs in our family, too. Hopefully you will be able to get it under control with weight loss.

    ReplyDelete