Surgery

 So I had surgery this past week.

 Surgery is never fun. The nerves. The pain. The knocking out stuff. I just don't like it.

 I freaked out a little when the anesthesiologist explained to me that since the surgeon requested general anesthetic for me, that they'd knock me out while on my back and stick a tube down my throat into my lungs to help me breathe. Par for the course when they knock you out completely. That's not what freaked me out.

 Because a colorectal surgeon performed the surgery (that's all I'll say, as it's a little TMI what he had to do), they would have to flip me over with the tube in me and flip me back over when done. Because I'm not exactly thin, this freaked me out. I also worried that my lungs would get punctured, etc. I was probably overreacting, but who knows? I have to give the doctor credit though that he spoke with the anesthesiologist who ended up in the room and they simply gave me something in my IV to put me out and stuck an oxygen mask over me.

 The anesthesiologist gave me something as they wheeled me into the operating room because I was so nervous. What I remembered in there pissed me off.

 I think it was the doctor who motioned to me and helped me into position on the table and gently grabbed my arm with one hand to help me along-while grabbing my stomache with his other hand. Someone (a male voice) said, "Wow. That's a lot." I took that to mean my stomache. The doctor answered back, "I know."

 I find that beyond inappropriate and sent the doctor an email the next day letting him know. BEYOND INAPPROPRIATE. I also said that I will apologize if I was too stoned and didn't remember things correctly. His RN read the email the next day and let me know that the doctor was out of the office but would be back in the following day and would answer me.

 He didn't.

 As luck would have it, I got a survey in the mail from my medical group asking me to rate the doctor from the first visit. If I don't get a response from him, I will call the phone number on the survey and complain.

 Is this common with overweight patients? Am I overreacting?

 Edited: The doctor called today with the pathology report and apologized. All is well. :) 

Comments

Popular Posts